We just wrapped up one of my favorite things we do here at Rekrewt, and that is researching prospective students, and what their thoughts and goals are as they compare higher ed options for the upcoming spring semester. What makes our research so unique is that we survey prospective students, not current students, so you truly get to understand the minds of your prospects!

We surveyed 500 people that are actively considering enrolling in a community college this upcoming spring semester (January, 2020). 

In this video, the second video in a five part series, I’m going to share the work, financial, and family constraints of these prospects. What obstacles may be holding them back, and how are they planning on overcoming them?

Let’s start with work hours. 22% are not currently working. 38% are working 30-40 hours per week, and 27% are working OVER 40 hours per week! Not surprising given the current economy, but this could be an issue for some as they try to make time for classes. 65% of your prospects are working 30 or more hours per week!

Looking at work experience, how long they’ve been working, we see some interesting details. The average pay for all respondents is $10-$15/hr, or the equivalent of $20,000 – $30,000 per year. However, if we break that down by how long they’ve been working, people that have been working for over 10 years don’t have a higher average income than those working for only 1-5 years. 

What does this tell us? It means that many of your prospective students are likely desperate to make more money as they’re in low level jobs without much advancement potential, but they’re working 30-40 or more hours per week, so they’re definitely going to be looking for flexibility.

Now, let’s look at their family situation. 40% of your prospects do not have children, so theoretically it should be easier for them to attend classes. However, let’s dive deeper into the data for those that do have children. 68% of those prospects with children, say “attending classes shouldn’t be a problem.” That’s good news. The other 32% are going to be looking for flexibility, and as you’ll see during the upcoming live training and research session, they explicitly state that later in this survey. However, there may not be as many people struggling with this as some believe. 

Today, I’ve only had time to share a few helpful tidbits with you. But, as I mentioned, I want to let you know that I’m going to be hosting a live training and research session all about this data, Wednesday, December 4th, at noon. One of my favorite things to do with survey data is “crosstabbing,” where I select all respondents that answered one question a specific way, and then see how they answered other questions. This is where you can really learn some detailed things that you can leverage in your recruitment marketing!

During the live session, I’ll share some of my favorite crosstabs and helpful observations, and I’ll also take your requests in real-time, sharing the data that you want to see. 

Go ahead and click the link below to register now so you don’t miss out. If you can’t make it live, register anyway, and you’ll get an email with a link to the replay. Just for registering, you’ll also get a free PDF with the full, raw data.

The 10 Most Common Digital Mistakes, and How to Avoid Them

Get the guide created especially for community college marketers. Save time, money, and stress, as you learn how to improve your digital marketing by avoiding common mistakes.


Is Your College’s Digital Strategy Working?

How does your strategy compare to proven best practices?